Firstly, take some time to design your Data Pyramid on paper. Remember that each level in the Data Pyramid does not have to be a physical health facility, but may also be a logical combination of different facilities. You have to create a Data Set for these logical levels – they simply remain empty.
Now open the Data Pyramid Setup window:
- Select Analyse Data from the Main Menu, then select Manage Data Pyramids, or
- Click on the Manage Data Pyramids button on the Analyse Data shortcut tab.
Follow these simple steps to set up your Data Pyramid:
- Remember that you can create more than one Data Pyramid, so start by setting up or selecting the Data Pyramid you want to work with on the list at the top of the window.
- Make sure that all the Data Sets you want to use in your Data Pyramid exist in the list of Data Sets on the right. (The Manage Data Sets button below the list will enable you to add, edit or remove Data Sets.)
- Now you can set up your Data Pyramid using the list on the left. Do this by moving Data Sets from the list on the right to the correct positions and levels in your Data Pyramid. The Help file describes the functions of the different buttons in detail – press F1 on your keyboard or click on the Help button.
Take note of these important points:
- You must always position one Data Set at the top of the pyramid, which will allow you to look at all Data Sets positioned below it – even if this is an empty Data Set. Start by positioning this Data Set.
- You must always set up at least one Data Pyramid if you intend doing data analyses, even if you use only one Data Set. Then simply create the pyramid (step 1 above), and position this single Data Set on its own in the Data Pyramid.
- There is no limit to the number of Data Pyramids or Data Sets you can create.
- When you remove a Data Set from a Data Pyramid, the data is safe, and you can still add data to this Data Set.